and the Time Travel Mart
12515 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90066
and the Time Travel Mart
1714 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
826LA is looking for interns who are passionate about education. We rely heavily on enthusiastic, professional individuals to support the day-to-day administrative functions of the organization as well as medium- and long-term capacity-building projects. We are looking for dedicated individuals who are properly motivated to work individually, with a small staff of 14 employees, and with a large corps of volunteers. The 826LA internship is designed to expose interns to the wide range of work at an established educational non-profit while allowing for a degree of specialization.
Typically, 826LA interns commit to 15 a week of unpaid experience for 3 months with the possibility of extending this term following a review. 826LA internships are flexible positions—one’s day-to-day duties will range in complexity and depth and will be dictated by the organization’s needs. However, we encourage potential interns to review their area(s) of interest and consider the following intern tracks when applying. Over the course of the interview and orientation process, 826LA will work with interns to develop a specialized program of work for their term.
Areas of Focus
Note: These three tracks do not represent the entire spectrum of possible experiences at 826LA, but do form the main core of intern duties. Other roles, including opportunities to work with development staff and designers, also present themselves.
Program interns will work closely with Program Coordinators to support our After-School Tutoring, Field Trips, In-Schools, and/or Workshops. Program interns have a strong interest in serving youth of various ability levels and diverse backgrounds. Interns will be available to provide direct service to 826LA students throughout their internship period as tutors and writing coaches, and grow into leadership roles as they become familiar with the challenges and strategies for success in their respective programs.
Volunteer Outreach and Support Track
826LA functions only with the dedication of a large corps of volunteer tutors. Successful volunteer recruitment and retention requires an outgoing individual who can quickly learn the processes behind orientations, trainings, and other volunteer support activities. Volunteer interns will aid the Volunteer Coordinators with communications and paperwork processing, and will grow to lead orientations, to host trainings, and to serve as a spokesperson for 826LA at outreach events.
An events/communications intern will possess a strong attention to detail and a high level of organization. Responsibilities include leading outreach tables at college fairs, supporting in-house community events, and helping plan large annual fundraisers. Interns in this track may also be responsible for compiling information for 826LA newsletters and writing copy for event announcements.
- Strict minimum requirement of 12 hours a week for 3 months
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Gmail, etc.)
- Desire to work in an organization with a strong spirit of social justice
- Completion of a criminal background check, to be requested by 826LA
- Experience with children in professional setting a plus
- Design software skills (especially Adobe Creative Suite) a plus
- Access to car a plus
- Spanish language a plus
- 15% off at the Time Travel Mart
- Access to a national coalition of education non-profits at an established community organization
- A close-up view of the complex functions of a dynamic education non-profit
- The opportunity to gain valuable experience in classrooms and unique tutoring settings
Please send an email to email@example.com, with
- a cover letter that explains what strengths you will bring to the position, what you hope to gain from the experience, and your preference, if any, for a specific intern track or site (Mar Vista or Echo Park)
- a resume that reflects relevant experience and skills
- a list of professional references (no more than three) with email addresses and telephone numbers
- optional: letter of recommendation