826LA hosts a Paddle Boat Race Unlike Any Other
to Raise Money for its Free Writing and Tutoring Programs
for the Children
Do You Have the Mettle to Pedal?
VOLUNTEER TEAMS COMPETE IN A PADDLE BOAT RACE TO DETERMINE THE "WORLD'S BEST PADDLE BOAT RACERS" AND RAISE MONEY FOR CHARITY. THE MORE MONEY A TEAM RAISES, THE CLOSER THEY ARE TO THE FINISH LINE. THE "RACE" IS A VIRTUAL RACE OF FUNDRAISING THAT CULMINATES IN PAGEANTRY LIKE YOU’VE NEVER SEEN ON A LAKE.
You and your pedaling partners! SIGN UP NOW! Teams may now have more than 2 members—but maximum 4 per boat when parading.
The Paddle Boat Regatta of the century, so far.
Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 4 p.m.
Echo Park Lake, Los Angeles CA 90026. FREE parking on Sundays in the public lot behind The Echo Park Time Travel Mart (Just below Sunset Blvd. between Logan and Lemoyne Streets). Click here for a map.
1) For the kids—all proceeds benefit the activities of 826LA!
2) For the prizes! The winning fundraising team receives 2 $100 gift cards from Book Soup, the trophy, the title of World's Best Paddle Boat Racers, the eternal glory of victory, and more! Other prizes include, but are not limited to, gift cards from The Hive hair salon, a totebag with goodies from Unique LA, and gift cards from Masa of Echo Park!
All participants will receive a gift bag with goodies from Filter, Izze, Flora and Fauna Press, GOOD and more!
Register to boat between now and midnight on July 24. Registration is free, though teams must raise $100 in order to participate in the pageantry on July 26. As soon as the team has signed up, anyone and everyone can come to this website to pledge their support for the team(s) of their choice. Spaces are limited, so register today!
By donating money to the teams, the pledger helps their favorite team win the race. Team members should raise as much money as possible because regatta teams will be ranked by their total funds raised. The team who raises the most money will be declared winner of the "race." For some helpful fundraising tips, download this PDF.
On July 26 all participating teams will convene at the lake to determine the following winners: Team Spirit, Best Costumes, Best Paddle Boat Maneuver, Best Fundraising Tactics, MVP (Most Valuable Pedaler), and more. The winners of the fundraising race will receive their trophy and other prizes!
If you'd like to be a sponsor, or you're looking for any other information on the Regatta or 826LA, please contact Christina Galante either by or phone at 213.413.3388.
SPECTATORS: Recruit your own cheering section!
- MUST REMAIN SEATED AT ALL TIMES
- LIFE VESTS MUST REMAIN ON AND FASTENED UNTIL EXITING DOCK
- KEEP BOATS 15 FEET FROM LAKE EDGES, OTHER BOATS, AND OTHER OBSTACLES IN THE WATER
- STAY OUT OF RESTRICTED AREAS MARKED BY BUOYS
- NO FOOD, DRINKS, SMOKING, OR PETS (WATER OKAY)
- KEEP TRACK OF YOUR TIME. NO REFUNDS FOR UNUSED TIME, AND LATE FEE CHARGED
- DO NOT ROCK BOATS
- LIFEGUARDS WILL REMOVE NON-COMPLIANT BOATERS FROM LAKE WITHOUT REFUND
- CLEANING FEE OF $3.00 WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY MESS LEFT ON BOATS
OTHER ATTRACTIONS: There will be a VIP after-party for all team members, location TBA. Participation in the race includes entrance to the party.
- July 24, 11:59 p.m.: Registration and fundraising close.
- July 26, 4:00 p.m.: The 826LA Echo Park Lake Paddle Boat Regatta!
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around our belief that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind, 826LA provides drop-in tutoring, after-school workshops, in-schools tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. Drawing from a volunteer base of over 550, which includes many teachers, writers and journalism professionals; 826LA unites eager students with eager helpers. All of 826LA's programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student’s power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice. Please visit us at www.826la.org
design by standardmotion