All 826LA volunteers must complete a background check via Live Scan fingerprinting service. We offer the Live Scan fingerprinting service during any Volunteering 101 orientation at any 826LA site.
To get your Live Scan during a Volunteering 101, follow these steps:
- RSVP for a Volunteering 101 orientation here.
- Bring a valid photo ID and a form of payment to the Volunteering 101 you RSVP’d for. You can view valid forms of photo ID below. The Live Scan will cost $20 and we highly recommend that you pay with cash or check as there will be an additional 2.75% processing fee for credit card payments.
If you prefer to get your Live Scan done off-site, you must bring a completed Live Scan form and a valid photo ID to an approved Live Scan location. It can cost anywhere from $20-25. Scroll to view more information about getting the Live Scan done off-site below.
For all Live Scans, 826LA will receive the electronic results directly. You do not have to be a US citizen to get Live Scanned. If you are under 18 and are getting your Live Scan done, you must bring a parent or guardian with you to the Volunteering 101.
Valid forms of identification for US citizens or residents:
1. US Passport
2. State ID (including driver’s license)
3. Permanent Residence card
Valid forms of identification for non-citizens or non-residents:
1. Consulate Card issued to non-citizens (eg. Matricula Consular/Mexican Consulate Card)
2. Marriage certificate
3. Employment ID Card
4. Foreign passport
5. Temporary ID Card
If you are getting your Live Scan done off-site:
You must bring a completed Live Scan form and a valid photo ID to an approved Live Scan location. It can cost anywhere from $20-25. Follow these steps:
- Print out a Live Scan form here and fill in all requested information inside the center section. When filling out the form, make sure both DOJ and FBI boxes are checked.
- Bring the completed form to a verified Live Scan location along with a valid photo ID (see valid forms of photo ID above). You can find Live Scan locations online or visit oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locati
ons. Prices for the Live Scan service vary by location so make sure to check the cost at each location beforehand.
- When you go in to an off-site location for your Live Scan, check one more time that both DOJ and FBI boxes are checked on your form, and ask your technician to confirm that both were checked in the Live Scan terminal.
- Save the copy of the Live Scan form for your records. No need to send the copy to us. In the rare case that we need proof that you got your Live Scan done before we get the results, we will ask to see this copy.
For all Live Scans, 826LA will receive the electronic results directly. You do not have to be a US citizen to get Live Scanned. If you are under 18 and are getting your Live Scan done, you must bring a parent or guardian with you to the off-site Live Scan location.
Questions about the Live Scan process can be directed to:
Mariesa Arrañaga Kubasek
A NOTE ON COST
The Live Scan fingerprinting usually costs $20-$25 (depending on where you go), which volunteers pay for out-of-pocket at the Live Scan location. We kindly ask volunteers to cover the cost of the test, but if this is a hardship, let us know. In order to be reimbursed, you will need to volunteer for one project, and will need to submit copies of the completed Live Scan form and an itemized receipt. Contact us for more information.